Monday, September 17, 2012

REVIEW: Dollar General 5-blade razor



Handle with 1 cart. $5. Not compatible with the Proglide.

Pros: Handle has metal content and so feels more substantial than the partly chrome-plated all-plastic PG. Actually feels better in the hand. The head pivots much the same way as the PG's does, which is a plus. It has no largely useless vibrating gimmick. The lube strip is camouflaged - at first I thought it was just a useless strip of matching orange plastic but lo and behold, there it is. Really slimes you up on multiple passes. A box of 2 carts costs over $3.50; now, if it were as good a shaver as the PG, or even close, that'd be a dealmaker for me. However...

Cons: The five blades mimic the smoothness of the PG but only to about 75% as smooth, which still isn't that bad. I've used worse. In fact, on the face I got a 2 pass true BBS, so it was a dead tie with the PG on that point.

Baffling, though, is how BADLY it did on my neck. I could not endure more than two passes (and this was using extra-thick layers of Tabac, with lots of hot water prep, and as little pressure as I could on the 2nd pass). Still, I ended up with neck bleeders, weepers and razor burn the like of which I have not had since using the Xtreme-3 disposables which forced me to look into DE in the first place. Really strange that it can give great results on the face but HORRIBLE on the neck.

Also, the trim blade atop the cartridge is situated differently - and stupidly - than the PG's. That is, this trim blade is oriented STRAIGHT UP from the top of the cartridge, meaning to use it you have to old the entire thing at 90° to your face and even then, it isn't effective. Bad, bad planning, that.

Verdict: Too bad that the neck shave killed it. Worth experimenting but not worth buying again. Will give it to the wife as a backup leg shaver.

No comments:

Post a Comment