Wednesday, September 19, 2012

REVIEW: Big Ben stainless blade

Smoothness is paramount to me. I'll take a less-sharp but consistently smooth blade any day over an ultrasharp blade that may get the job done faster but, no matter how careful you are, is just as eager to remove epidermis as it is whiskers. So while my search for razors is pretty much completed (...I think...) I'm always interested in trying new blades that are reputed to be smooth shavers, and the cheaper, the better. 

One of these is the Big Ben, a pack of which was graciously gifted to me by a respected member of the wetshaving community.



I don't have much to say on this blade, or any blade, except the basics of what I like or don't like. The reason is because my experience with stainless blades, unlike carbons, is relatively limited and, admittedly, rather pedestrian...I'll try any blade once, without caring much about its pedigree, packaging, printing, wax spots, flavor of machine oil, which shift at what plant in Upper Slobovia made it, etc (it's fine and dandy that others dig that minutiae, I just don't).

Anyway, even after one shave I can say that I like the Big Ben. As the recommendation said, it is smooth and performed excellently in my Shake Sharp - no nicks, no scrapes, no irritation. How much of that is attributable to the relatively mild Shake Sharp or to the relatively mild Big Ben? No idea. Don't care. Are they consistently smooth from blade to blade and pack to pack? Again, I dunno but I'll find out.

While it does not seem as keen as a Feather (treacherously sharp but tolerable), Astra (very good) or Voshkod (disliked it on the first shave), for me it's smoother than any of them. It definitely blows Derby out of the water on all fronts and is on par with another new favorite, the Blue Bird...though the Big Ben seems a hair smoother. In fact, if I were shaving blindfolded the Big Ben could be mistaken for my all-time favorite stainless blade, the early '60s era Gillette stainless. As far as value goes, it appears to be a winner given its smoothness and its superior shave (sharper, I guess) to the readily available Dorcos, with which I have no problem. No blade snob, I.

I've a stock of about 50 of those fantastic old Gillette blades that I'm always hesitant to break into...but when I just HAVE to have the nicest shave I can get, rather than just a serviceable one, those old Gillette stainless are what I reach for. Now I won't have to because I've found a comparable alternative. I'll be ordering some of these Big Bens soon and unhesitatingly recommend trying them just once to anyone who wants a smooth blade that gets the job done right (that IS based on shaves from just the first blade so take this recommendation for what it's worth...YMMV).

UPDATE: 100 Big Ben blades are on their way to me from merry ol' England. Here's hoping they're consistent.

5 comments:

  1. The Big Ben blades in my opinion are an excellent blade especially for testing new razors. It allows me to see how the razor performs without worrying about the blade being rough due to an over aggressive hone.

    These blades are made by LORD in Egypt and are one of the most consistent blades on the market. They may not last a long as some blades, but the smoothness is always there with them.

    This is one of my favorite blades.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also begun to notice a longevity issue with them...ah well, no blade is perfect. I still appreciate your turning me on to them!

    Funny to know they're made by Lord since it was a Lord blade some months back that gave me one of the worst shaves I ever had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be supportive on all your articles and blogs as a result of they are simply up to the mark.
    best electric razor 2014

    ReplyDelete
  4. If anyone is looking for a heavy duty best safety razor which is use in own home that can deliver excellent shaving results and last longer than him, then this razor is the good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shaving with safety razor always gives much pleasure. The weight of the safety razor helps to shave without put presser, which helps to get shave less irritation. best safety razor for man

    ReplyDelete