Monday, October 1, 2012

REVIEW: Remington Azor

I did not plan to review this razor because I figured it couldn't be much different from its sister, the Remington "S" which I reviewed below. But when I found several on clearance at Big Lots for $5 (including THREE carts), I just had to give it a shot. You know how it is.




Cut to the chase: The Azor is a pleasant surprise. It is superior to the "S" for sure - any positives I gave the "S" apply to the Azor, and then some. Feel-wise and result-wise, it is dead comparable to my personal gold standard for cart shavers, the Gillette Pro-Glide.In short: The "S" is meh. The Azor is VERY GOOD.

Details: I wasn't expecting to find any but the Azor has a few pluses over the "S." First, the two flex points that hold the cart are softer and much more flexible right out of the package, meaning I did not have to flex them for 15 minutes like I did with the "S" in order to get a somewhat improved shave. Second, the more traditionally narrow handle is much more grip-friendly, at least for face shaving. Third, the handle also has some metal content, giving it some weight and thereby making it easier to maneuver, paradoxically, than the near-weightless "S."  Fourth, it has superb balance and I did not have to shove the razor against my face in order to take off whiskers, the way I did with the "S."

I just took off a day and a half's growth in under five minutes with zero irritation, and did so in just two passes. Most of that was ATG but that's normal for me with this type of razor. 

Going by hand feel, the results are no different than I get with the Pro-Glide...that is to say, BBS. I managed to get the same with the "S" but it took longer and was so much more work that my hand ached afterwards. This time? Nothing.

The only problem I can point to is that the lube strip is lacking. I know a lot of guys dislike them and some even remove them before shaving; however, I've come to enjoy them and the slimier they better. These carts might as well have a strip of white plastic running across the top, as useless as it is.

Conclusion: I really can't come up with any negatives for the Azor except for the lack of lube strip. So if you're looking for a good travel razor that CANNOT screw up your shave, or are just curious, find and buy it. Since they're now showing up at Big Lots, I'll take that as a sign that they're about to be discontinued, if they haven't been already. 

I'll be stocking up just for the carts...five bucks for three carts versus almost $20 for four Pro-Glide carts? I'm not great at math but even I can figure this one out.

1 comment: